Kierra

The Word Mineur

A 15 year old who loves reading.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Rae Carson
In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
Siege and Storm
Leigh Bardugo
The Fire Horse Girl
Kay Honeyman
The Nightmare Affair - Mindee Arnett I have to say, this book didn't let down my incredibly high expectations. It was one of my most anticipated books of 2013, and now it will be one of my favorite books of 2013.If you loved Hex Hall with all the crazy paranormal witches and werewolves in it, then you most definitely will want to get this book. It's just with a new twist to it.First, you are introduced to Dusty. She was a normal teenager until well, she found out that she was a Nightmare. Nightmares have the ability to go into to people's dreams. But, they only do that when they have to "feed" to be able to live.I was actually taken by surprise when I started liking Dusty from the very start. It's not like I can relate to her, I just understood her somehow. Maybe that is just how well the author can write and make us all like the main character, but I was glad that I liked her. After all, she is a very important part to the story.The plot of the story was, yet again, amazing. It was fast-paced and dragged you into the world of Arkwell Academy. Everything was easy to imagine, and it wasn't unrealistic. The murder was probably one of my favorite things about this book. I know that sounds really morbid, but it keeps you guessing who the murderer could be. There were so many possibilities and it kept me on my toes.The romance. I first have to say, just by my first time reading the description, I thought it would be too-overbearing. I thought it might turn into a cheesy romance book instead of a well-planned out mysterious paranormal book. Now, that was just my thoughts when I first read the description. Thankfully, I was totally wrong. There was surprisingly little romance in the first 1/2 of the book. Sure, there were some things, but I was expecting a huge love triangle(there was sort of a love triangle, but you could barely tell it was even there). Thankfully, the book seemed more focused on the important stuff: the mystery of the murderer. The romance was merely just another good part of the book. It was believable and not overly-done.The ending was not anything entirely important for me. I don't mean to sound harsh. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't amazing. It was in the middle for me. Nevertheless, I will be looking forward to reading the second book.Overall, the book was well written, especially for a debut book. You could tell it was planned out and it was believable. The romance wasn't overbearing, and the mystery of the murderer kept me on my toes through the whole book.